Steamed rice flour cake with spicy egg masala stuffing.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Egg- 3 small ( or 2 large)
- Black pepper powder – to taste
- Onion,finely chopped – 1 large( about 1 cup)
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1
- Ginger and garlic ,finely chopped – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves,chopped – Few
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 to 1 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Tomato,finely chopped- 1/2 of a medium (about 1/4 cup)
- Water – 1 tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- as required
To prepare Puttu:
- Puttu Podi – 1 to 1.5 cups
- Water- as required
- Salt- to taste
- Grated coconut- as required
- To Prepare Puttu mixture-In a bowl,combine together rice flour and salt to taste.Sprinkle water a little at a time and mix well with your finger tips.It should look like bread crumbs and should not form a dough.( To check if it is done,take a handful of the wet puttu mixture and press it.If it holds its shape and crumbles easily when pressed again then the consistency is right.).Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl,combine together eggs,salt and pepper powder to taste.Lightly beat the eggs and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add the beaten eggs and scramble them.Transfer to another bowl and keep aside until required.
- Heat oil in the same pan,add onion,green chilies,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add turmeric powder,Kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder.Mix well and saute for about 30 seconds over low flame.Next add tomato and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until tomato turns mushy and masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.Now add 1 tbsp of water and mix well for few seconds .Add the scrambled eggs .
- Mix well until combined.Add more salt if required.Turn off the heat and keep aside.Now to prepare puttu place 1 or 1.5 tbsp of grated coconut as the first layer in the puttu mould.
- Next add 2 to 3 tbsp of the egg masala mixture .Loosely fill the remaining portion with the prepared puttu mixture.Top with grated coconut.if desired.
- Cover the puttu mould with the lid.Fill the pressure cooker ( or the bottom vessel of the puttu maker) with water equal to half its volume.Bring it to a boil.Steam cook the puttu for about 5 to 8 minutes or until you see steam escaping from the tiny holes on the lid. Take out the mould and invert it onto a serving plate.
- Adjust the quantity of chili powder according to your taste.