Learn how to prepare crispy Uzhunnu Vada|Medu Vada a popular South Indian snack made using urad dal/black gram dal.
- Urud dal/Uzhunnu- 1cup
- Ginger chopped-1″ piece
- Green chilies chopped-2 to 3 nos
- Shallots/chumanulli chopped-6 to 8 nos
- Black pepper corns-8 to 10 nos
- Curry leaves chopped – 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Oil -to deep fry
- Wash and soak urud dal for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain this and grind it to a smooth paste adding a few tablespoons of water if required.
- Add ginger,green chilies,shallots,pepper corns,curry leaves and salt to taste to the ground paste and mix well using a spatula.
- Keep aside for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok.Just add a pinch of the dough into hot oil,if this rises to the top immediately then the oil is hot enough to prepare the vadas.
- Wet your palm with cold water and take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a ball.Slightly flatten it and make a hole in the center using your finger.Slip this into hot oil(over medium flame).cook until it turns golden brown.
- Serve with coconut chutney
- If you are not able to shape the vadas add a few tsp of rice flour to the batter to bring it to the right consistency.
- To make uzhunnu vada crispy on the outside add 1 or 2 tsp of roasted rava to the batter.
- Click here for more Kerala snack recipes.