Recipe source( with slight variations): Suriyani pachakam (Bava R Lukose)
- Hard boiled eggs-6 nos
- Onion sliced-2 large
- Ginger chopped-1 tsp
- Garlic chopped- 1tsp
- Green chilies(cut vertically)- 4 nos(or to taste)
- Coconut milk(thin)-2 cups
- Potato (cubed)-1 large
- Coconut milk(thick)-1/2 cup
- Chili powder-2 to 3 tsp(according to taste)
- Coriander powder-1tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick-1″ piece
- Cloves- 4 nos
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Shallots(sliced)- 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Combine all the ingredients to grind ,add sufficient quantity of water and grind to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan , add sliced onion and salt to taste.Saute for 2 to 3 minutes .
- Now add chopped ginger , garlic and green chilies.Saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the masala paste and saute till oil separates.
- Add potato and thin coconut milk.Cover and cook till done.
- Once potato is cooked ,pour thick coconut milk and stir well.Adjust salt to taste.
- Add hard boiled eggs and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in another pan and add mustard seeds.Let it splutter.Add shallots and curry leaves,saute till it turns golden brown.Add this to the curry, cover and keep aside for few minutes before serving.
- Serve with idiappam or appam
To prepare idiappams
- Idiappam flour (rice powder)- 1 cup
- Hot water- 1 to 1 1/4 cups
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Combine 1 cup idiappam flour(rice powder) ,1 to 1 1/4 cups hot water,1 tsp oil and salt to taste.
- Knead well to form a soft dough.Fill this dough into an idiappam press.
- Add 1 tsp grated coconut into the idli plates and squeeze the dough over it.Sprinkle grated coconut over this if desired.
- Steam it for about 10 to 1 5 minutes and serve with egg curry.