Easy Kerala Mutton Curry
Quick ,easy and flavorful OPOS(One Pot One Shot) Kerala Mutton curry
Prep Time: 10
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
Recipe adapted from:OPOSchef
- Mutton -900 to 1000 gms
- Shallots,cut into 2 – 2 cups
- Green Chilies,cut vertically – 2
- Curry leaves-one handful
- Coconut slices,cut into 1″pieces – 1/2 cup
- Meat Masala powder – 3 tbsp (or use quick homemade meat masala powder)
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 3 to 4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 and 1/4 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
Quick Homemade Meat Masala powder(yield:3tbsp)
- Kashmiri chili powder- 2 to 3 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 4 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Wash and drain the meat well.,add the ingredients listed under ‘For Marination’ and set aside for 10 minutes or until you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
To prepare homemade meat masala ,dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘quick homemade meat masala powder ‘over medium low flame,stirring continuously until the colour starts to change slightly.Immediately transfer the masala onto a plate to cool.(Skip this step if using store bought meat masala powder.)
In a 3 Ltr pressure cooker add oil and swirl the cooker to evenly coat the bottom.Place the marinated mutton in a single layer (as much as possible) on one half of the cooker and add the shallots to the other half.
Add the green chilies,curry leaves,coconut slices and meat masala (or the quick homemade meat masala), as the next layer.(Do not mix).Do not add water,the meat will get cooked in its own juices.Cover with the lid ,place the pressure regulator/vent weight.Now switch on the stove.Cook over high heat for 13 to 15 minutes( depending on how tender/tough the meat is).Switch off the stove and open the pressure cooker once the pressure has been released completely.
Stir well ,add more salt ,if required.If there is any liquid left,cook for few more minutes over medium high heat until the gravy coats the mutton pieces.Add more curry leaves and a pinch of garam masala .Mix gently and serve with rice ,palappam,vellayappam,kappa,kappa ularthiyathu,kappa vevichathu etc.
- Adjust the quantity of kashmiri chili powder and black pepper powder according to your taste.
- Learn more about OPOS techniques here.