AVAL VILAYICHATHU | AVAL VARATTIYATHU-A popular kerala snack prepared with sweetened beaten rice flakes with jaggand grated coconut.
- Jaggery -cut into small pieces- 1 cup ( or to taste)
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Aval/Poha/flattened rice flakes- 2 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
- Ginger powder /Chukku- 1/4 tsp( optional)
- Ghee- 1 tsp & more for frying
- Chana Dal /Kadala parippu- 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts and raisins- 8 to 10 nos
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry chana dal ,cashew nuts and raisins separately until it turns golden brown.Drain and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan ,add jaggery with 1/2 cup water and cook over low flame until it begins to thicken .(or until you get one thread consistency)
- Now add grated coconut and mix well.Cook for few minutes over low flame until it is thick.
- Add aval and mix well until combined.Switch off the stove.
- Now sprinkle cardamom and ginger powder followed by fried chana dal and cashew nuts.
- Finally drizzle 1 tsp ghee ( if using) and mix everything thoroughly.
-You can also add a pinch of roasted cumin powder ,if desired.
Strain the melted jaggery ,to remove impurities, if any.
–click here for more Kerala snack recipes.
JulieJanuary 28, 2013 at 1:52 am
my favorite snack,love this a lot!!
Join EP event-Nutmeg OR Parsley @ Chef Mireille's Global Creations
great-secret-of-lifeJanuary 28, 2013 at 2:03 am
my fav snack too.. Looks so yummy nice shots
divyagcpJanuary 28, 2013 at 4:11 am
Delicious traditional snack.. Very inviting..
Rafeeda ARJanuary 28, 2013 at 6:29 am
beautiful pictures… such a simple snack is made to look so glamorous… could have this anytime!!! 🙂
Aruna ManikandanJanuary 28, 2013 at 6:40 am
looks delicious and lovely clicks 🙂
Prathima RaoJanuary 30, 2013 at 11:11 am
This looks mouthwatering!!!Nice & neat pics!!
kangnaApril 11, 2013 at 11:18 am
gr8 blog!!i think u have to use roasted dalia(pottukadala) here and not kadalaparippu