AVAL VILAYICHATHU | AVAL VARATTIYATHU-A popular kerala snack prepared with sweetened beaten rice flakes with jaggand grated coconut.
- Jaggery -cut into small pieces- 1 cup ( or to taste)
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Aval/Poha/flattened rice flakes- 2 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
- Ginger powder /Chukku- 1/4 tsp( optional)
- Ghee- 1 tsp & more for frying
- Chana Dal /Kadala parippu- 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts and raisins- 8 to 10 nos
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry chana dal ,cashew nuts and raisins separately until it turns golden brown.Drain and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan ,add jaggery with 1/2 cup water and cook over low flame until it begins to thicken .(or until you get one thread consistency)
- Now add grated coconut and mix well.Cook for few minutes over low flame until it is thick.
- Add aval and mix well until combined.Switch off the stove.
- Now sprinkle cardamom and ginger powder followed by fried chana dal and cashew nuts.
- Finally drizzle 1 tsp ghee ( if using) and mix everything thoroughly.
-You can also add a pinch of roasted cumin powder ,if desired.
Strain the melted jaggery ,to remove impurities, if any.