- Green gram / cherupayar / mung beans -cooked- 1 cup
- Jaggery-grated-1/2 cup
- Water-2 to 3 tbsp
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Ginger powder- 1 pinch
- Cumin powder- 1 pinch ( optional)
- Oil-For deep frying
- All purpose flour-1/4 cup
- Rice powder- 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp (optional)
- Water -as required
- Salt- 1 pinch
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add jaggery and 2 tbsp water.Cook until it is thick, over medium low flame.
- Now add grated coconut,mix well and cook for a minute on low flame.
- Next add cooked green gram and saute for about 5 minutes or until it is almost dry.Switch off the stove.
- Add cardamom,ginger and cumin powder and mix thoroughly .Allow it to cool slightly.Roll this into lemon sized balls.
- Combine all the ingredients listed under “for batter” to form a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan.Dip each balls into the batter to coat it evenly and deep fry until golden brown.
Do not over cook mung bean.
You can roll the filling into slightly larger balls ,if desired.