Vettu Cake-Step by step recipe
- Powdered sugar–
1/2 cup(75 gms)
- Baking soda–
- All purpose flour–
1 cup(few tbsp more ,as required)
- Cardamom powder–
1/4 tsp(see notes)
for deep frying
- In a large bowl,mix together egg and powdered sugar until combined.
- Add baking soda,all purpose flour and cardamom powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Knead gently to form a smooth dough.(If the dough is sticky,add 1 or 2 tbsp more all purpose flour.)Keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two ,form each half into a rectangular log.( or just shape whole of the dough into a large rectangular log for slightly larger cakes)
- Using a sharp knife ,slice the dough into 3/4 to 1″ thick slices.Make two deep cuts on each slice,as shown in the picture.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry,over a medium heat,until it turns golden brown.
- Drain on to a kitchen towel, allow it to cool completely.Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Make sure you fry the cakes over a medium heat.If the oil is too hot,the outside of the cakes will brown too quickly and inside will be under cooked.
- Do not over fry the cakes,if you do so it will be a bit too hard to eat.
- For best results use freshly ground cardamom powder.
- You can make 28 to 30 small cakes or 14 to 15 larger cakes from the above mentioned quantity.
UnknownAugust 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Love this dish..looks so yummy…
LifewithspicesAugust 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm
love tis.. sooperbb clicks..
coralcrueAugust 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm
i just love this cake, i keep looking for it in tea stalls in kerala. rarely find them but now i can make them yaay
TorviewtorontoAugust 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm
fabulous combination looks delicious
Corporate to KitchenAugust 5, 2013 at 4:27 am
Loved your cliks & this dish brought back some old school days memories. We had a small canteen near our school which sold these & were called as cake. I used to love thif fried cake a lot. Loved your recipe & will defenitely try these soon.
SonaAugust 5, 2013 at 11:48 am
Yummy and delicious cake.
Manju @ Manjus Eating DelightsAugust 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm
I remember eating these a lot during my college and hostel days. Love them and thanks for the stepwise pics.
Divya AAugust 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm
awesome!! Stunning clicks just love these cakes the simplest, humble snack that never fails us … 🙂
bubblyOctober 2, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Worked fabulously thanks for the recipe
KurryleavesFebruary 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Glad that u liked it…Thanks for the feedback
sillynightingaleOctober 10, 2013 at 11:20 am
Tried it- fabulous- thank you:)
KurryleavesFebruary 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Thanks a lot for the feedback,,,so happy that it worked well for u..
UnknownDecember 13, 2013 at 4:35 am
This yummy and delicious thanks. I like it….
KurryleavesFebruary 1, 2014 at 2:40 pm
UnknownMay 28, 2015 at 10:22 am
followed it exactly…just added a large pinch of salt..it turned out delicious. thanks for d wonderful recipe
KurryleavesMay 30, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Thank You for the feedback…so happy that you liked it….
nancyFebruary 24, 2016 at 8:31 am
Hw to store this and for hw many days
KurryleavesMarch 2, 2016 at 5:52 am
Store them in an airtight container( @ room temp) for upto 2 days.
UnknownMarch 8, 2016 at 9:28 am
my grandma used to make this.v used to call this as flower cake.i tried it twice the taste was awesome.everyone liked it.
raviMarch 10, 2016 at 3:45 am
UnknownApril 12, 2016 at 6:53 am
I just tried making this and it tasted really good. Thank you for the recipe.
UnknownMay 19, 2016 at 2:18 am
I remember my dad bought this from hotels for us .good olden days
Ranjanis KitchenJuly 26, 2016 at 6:49 am
woww… this one looks very tempting.. cake looks so soft..
UnknownFebruary 4, 2017 at 8:59 am
How I can post pic of my vettucake ….By your recepie.soooper
KurryleavesApril 27, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Thank You Sheela..send the pic to kurryleaves[at]gmail.com
UnknownMay 28, 2019 at 10:11 am
Very yummy. Nostalgic feeling about olden days
StuthiApril 27, 2020 at 8:27 am
Hi.. great work! Amazing pictures, had a quick query.. can you let me know if i can bake them in an oven , instead of frying ??
UnknownJuly 7, 2020 at 12:58 pm
Hi…in 2020….i tried this….it came out very well
PrincyAugust 16, 2020 at 9:34 pm
Can you oven bake this recipe