Spicy Punjabi style chickpea curry.
Prep Time: 5 Hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3 people
- Chickpeas- 1 cup
- Cardamom-2 nos
- Bay leaf-1 no
- Cloves-3 nos
- Cinnamon-2″ piece
- Tea bag- 1 no
- Onion,chopped- 1.5 cups(2 medium)
- Ginger,grated- 1 tsp
- Tomato,chopped-1 cup(2 medium)
- Sugar- 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 to 1.5 tsp(or to taste)
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp(or to taste)
- Coriander powder- 1.5 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder– 3/4 tsp
- Amchur powder/dry mango powder- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Kasuri methi,dry fenugreek leaves- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped- 1/4 cup
- Onion,chopped- 1 to 2 tbsp( optional)
- Salt -to taste
- Water- as required
In a pressure cooker add chickpeas,cardamom,bay leaf,cloves,cinnamon,tea bag,water and salt to taste.Cook until it is done.Drain the chickpeas and keep aside.Discard the tea bag and the whole spices.Retain the broth for later use.
Heat oil in pan,add onion and grated ginger.Saute until it turns golden brown.
Add tomato and cook until oils starts to separate.
Add sugar,kashmiri chili powder,black pepper powder,coriander powder,cumin powder,turmeric powder and garam masala.Cook until it start to leave the sides of the pan,stirring continuously.
Add chickpeas and the remaining broth/water( adjust the quantity of broth/water according to the consistency you require).
Add amchur powder(if using) and kasuri methi,Mix well.Add more salt if required.Simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the gravy turns thick.
Garnish with coriander leaves and chopped onion( if desired).Serve with roti or batura along with chopped onions.