Kerala fish curry
Learn how to make spicy Kerala fish curry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 – 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Fish ,medium sized pieces-400 to 500 gms
- Kashmiri chili powder-2 to 2.5 tbsp(see notes)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 to 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder-1/8 tsp
- Black pepper powder-1/8 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Shallots,sliced-5 to 6 nos
- Ginger,crushed- 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic,crushed-1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Kudampuli / Fish tamarind / kokum- 2 to 3 small pieces( soaked in water)
- Water-1 to 1.5 cups( or as required)
- Salt-to taste
- Combine together kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder , fenugreek powder ,black pepper powder and few tbsp of water to form a thick paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/manchatti. Gently swirl the pan,to coat the sides of the pan with oil.
Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add shallots,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute until it turns golden .Reduce the flame to low,add the masala paste,saute for few minutes or until the masala leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add 1 to 1.5 cups of water( depending upon the amount of gravy you require) and mix well.
- Add kudampuli / tamarind and salt to taste.
- Bring it to a boil,over medium heat.Now add the fish pieces and mix well.
Cover and cook until fish is done.Uncover and cook until the gravy turns thick.Add more curry leaves.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for at least one hour for the flavors to blend in.
- Serve with rice.
- If you feel that the curry is a bit too tangy,remove the kokum pieces.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.Kashmiri chili powder gives a nice red colour to the curry without being too spicy.I used about 2.5 tbsp of kashmiri chili powder.If you are using regular chili powder,use according to your spice level.
- If you want to keep the curry for more than one day,avoid using coriander powder.
- Adjust the quantity of water according to amount and consistency of the gravy that you require.I used about 1 and 1/4 cups of water.
- You may also add 1 or 2 green chilies along with ginger and garlic,if desired.
- Click here for more Kerala seafood recipes.
Here is the video recipe for Kerala Fish Curry:
PS:This is my FIRST EVER video recipe,so please bear with me.Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Vineetha SushNovember 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm
wow curry looks mouthwatering ..love the colour..drooling drooling. Nice chatti 🙂
UnknownNovember 14, 2013 at 6:10 am
That is one good curry everyone would carve for, looks stunning with bright colour 🙂
TorviewtorontoNovember 16, 2013 at 3:32 am
this is the only way I like king fish lovely colour
AngellegacyJanuary 22, 2014 at 5:53 pm
Thank you for this…Looks soo yummmm !!
AnonymousFebruary 25, 2014 at 10:36 am
Followed your recipe and made shark fish curry! Was Yum Yum! Here are pics of my fish curry.
UnknownNovember 12, 2014 at 5:50 pm
wat brand chilli powder is this looks so good…
UnknownFebruary 4, 2015 at 11:55 am
I tried the fish curry today and it was delicious ! Everyone at home loved it. In Sri Lanka we also use kokum in our fish curries , it is called Goraka. Thank you for posting the recipe. By the way pics are beautiful 🙂
KurryleavesNovember 18, 2016 at 9:42 am
Thank You Ruwani
Benita KarthicAugust 15, 2015 at 9:00 pm
The curry came out well.thank you for the recipe
KurryleavesAugust 16, 2015 at 7:05 am
Thank You @Ruwani Kumar and @Benita Karthic for the feedback..so happy it worked well for you..
UnknownFebruary 26, 2016 at 5:19 am
UnknownMay 8, 2016 at 1:07 pm
I tried it many times… it came out well..
UnknownMay 8, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Tried it… came out well.. thank u v much
UnknownJune 11, 2016 at 6:48 pm
Hey thanks a lot. i was preparing fish curry for the first time and it was delicious. I followed xact the same.
KurryleavesJuly 10, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Thank You Bijosh..
FebaSeptember 5, 2016 at 10:20 am
I tried this and it was super..the best meen curry i ever made!!! Thank you so much.
KurryleavesNovember 18, 2016 at 9:44 am
Thank You for the feedback Feba.Happy to know that you liked it.
UnknownJune 24, 2017 at 12:00 am
Why do you avoid coriander powder if you wish to keep the curry for more than one day?
Ayesha's KitchenNovember 29, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Really nice… i like the color of it very much. Also it was new tip for me to avoid coriander if to keep more than a day.. thanks.. i will surely try this