Nendrapazham Pradhaman -Learn how to prepare Nendrapazha pradhaman,a delicious payasam prepared using ripe plantain and coconut milk.
Easy and delicious pazham pradhaman with coconut milk
Prep Time: 10 minutes .
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Jaggery,grated- 1 cup
- Nendrapazham/Ripe plantain,peeled and cut into 2 or 3 – 2 large
- Thin coconut milk( second extract) – 2.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk( first extract)- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 pinch(optional)
- Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp( or as required)
- Ghee – as required
- Water – as required
- Salt – 1 pinch
- In a pan,melt the grated jaggery along with 1/8 cup water.Strain to remove impurities ,if any and set aside until required.
- Cover and cook the bananas in a heavy bottomed pan with sufficient quantity of water( about 3/4 cup) until soft.Do not drain off the liquid.( if there is excess water ,increase the heat to high and cook for few minutes or until there is just about 2 to 3 tbsp of liquid left.)
- In a blender add the cooked bananas along with the remaining liquid.Grind to form a smooth paste.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp of ghee in a pan,add the pureed banana and cook stirring continuously until it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Next add the melted jaggery and mix well.
- Cook stirring continuously for 3 to 4 minutes.Now add the thin coconut milk and mix until combined.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat for about 20 to 25 minutes or until it turns thick.
- Once the pradhaman turns thick add the thick coconut milk and salt , mix well until combined.Now add the cardamom powder and cumin powder.Mix well .Bring it to just under a boil and switch off the flame.( Do not boil the pradhaman after adding thick coconut milk.)
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the coconut pieces and cashew nuts until it turns golden brown.Add this to the pradhaman and keep covered for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- You can also add cooked sago pearls to the pradhaman,if desired.In that case wash and soak sago in water for about 30 minutes.Drain and add it to the pradhaman along with the thin coconut milk.
- Adjust the quantity of jaggery according to your taste.
- Click here for more Kerala sadhya recipes.
- 1 cup = 250 ml