Kerala Vegetable Biriyani
Kerala style vegetable biriyani.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Basmati rice- 1.5 cups( see notes)
- Cardamom-3 nos
- Cinnamon stick,1.5″ piece-2 nos
- Bay leaf-1 no
- Cloves- 5 to 6 nos
- Ginger,chopped- 1 tsp
- Garlic,chopped-1 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically-2 or 3 nos( or to taste)
- Onion,sliced- 1 medium( 3/4 cup)
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 to 1 tsp( according to taste)
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Tomato,chopped- 1 medium( 1/2 cup)
- Thick coconut milk-1/2 cup
- Cooked vegetables( beans,carrot,green peas,cauliflower)-1.5 to 2 cups
- Coriander leaves-to garnish
- Oil-as required
- Ghee-as required
- Salt-to taste
- Onion,finely sliced- 1 small
- Cashew nuts-10 to 12 nos
- Raisins-1 tbsp
- Oil/Ghee-as required
- Coriander leaves,chopped-as required
- Garam masala-1/8 tsp
Heat oil/Ghee in a pan ,add rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes,pour sufficient amount of water(approximately 3 cups) and add salt to taste.Cook until rice is 3/4th done.Keep aside.
Heat oil/ghee in a pan and fry sliced onion, cashew nuts and raisins (for garnishing)separately until it turns brown and keep aside.
Now heat oil in a pan ,add the whole spices(cardamon,cinnamon,cloves and bay leaves.) and saute till fragrant.
Add ginger ,garlic,green chili and onion , saute till onion turn almost brown.
Reduce heat to low,add turmeric powder,chili powder and garam masala,saute till raw smell leaves.
Add tomato and saute till it is completely cooked ,and masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
Pour in the coconut milk and add salt to taste.Add the cooked vegetables and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on low flame or until the gravy turns thick.Switch off the stove ,add coriander leaves and mix well.
In a heavy bottomed pan arrange the vegetable masala and cooked rice in layers.Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves , garam masala( 1/8 tsp) and few drops of ghee(adding ghee is optional) on each layer of rice.Garnish with fried onions,cashew nuts and raisins.Cover the vessel with aluminium foil.
Preheat oven to 200 deg C.Bake this for about 10 to 12 minutes.(For stove top method,heat a tava/dosa pan and place the biriyani vessel on top of the tava,reduce flame to low and cook for about 20 minutes.)
Serve with onion salad.
- If you like more masala for the biriyani ,use 1 and 1/4 cup rice ( like in the pic) or use 1.5 cups rice for a milder version.(I usually get about 3.5 cups cooked rice from 1 cup basmati rice.)