South Indian sweet made using channa dal and is usually served with payasam.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 20 sweet bolis
- All purpose flour-1 cup
- Turmeric powder-1 pinch (see notes)
- Water-as required
- Gingelly oil-3 to 4 tbsp
- Channa dal-1 cup
- Water-to cook channa dal
- Sugar-1 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1 pinch
- Cardamom powder-1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder-1 pinch
- Water-as required
- Rice flour-1/2 cup( approx)
- Ghee-as required
Wash channa dal well ,add sufficient quantity of water and cook just until done.Do not over cook the dal.( You can use a pressure cooker,if desired).Keep aside.
To prepare the dough,combine together all purpose flour and turmeric powder in a bowl.Add water and mix well.
Knead to form a soft dough.It should be a bit sticky.Now pour the gingelly oil over the dough.Cover and keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
Drain the cooked channa dal.In a pan,add cooked channa dal ,one pinch turmeric powder and sugar.Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until it turns thick.( do not cook it for long,if you do so, the mixture will dry up)
Switch off the stove ,add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well until combined. Allow it to cool completely.(If the mixture is not smooth ,grind it well in a food processor.)Divide this filling into 18 to 20 equal size balls.
Take a small portion of the dough(i.e just enough to make a very thin layer around the filling) and flatten it in your palm.Place the filling over this.
Cover the filling with the dough by gently pulling the edges towards the center. Flatten the prepared ball and dust both sides with rice flour.
Roll this to form a thin circle.( make it as thin as possible.) .Dust the surface with rice flour to prevent sticking.
Heat a tava and cook the boli for few seconds on both the sides or until the color starts to change,over a medium flame.( do not cook it for too long)Drizzle ghee on top.Carefully remove the boli and repeat with the remaining dough.
- To get soft bolis ,the dough should be sticky and soft.Make sure that you cover the dough completely with oil.You can also use vegetable oil ,if you cant find gingelly oil.
- Do not cook the boli for too long,if you do so it will turn hard.
- The bolis can be stored in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. Refrigerate it,if you want to keep it for a longer time.
- Adding turmeric powder is optional.I did add turmeric powder as i wanted to avoid artificial food colour.