Idiappam | Noolputtu -Learn how to prepare Kerala rice noodles/string hoppers ,a popular Kerala breakfast dish .
Soft and fluffy idiappam -Popular Kerala breakfast dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes .
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Roasted rice flour- 1 cup
- Water – approximately 1 cup( or as required)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil or ghee – 1/2 to 1 tsp( optional)
- Grated coconut – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- In a pot,bring water to a boil.In a mixing bowl,combine together,rice flour,salt and oil/ghee.Add boiling hot water and mix well using a spatula /spoon.
- Allow this to cool slightly,knead the dough using your hands to form a smooth dough.( To check if it done, take a small portion of the dough and roll it between your fingers ,it should form a smooth ball and should not be sticky.)Fill the idiappam maker with the prepared dough.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil and sprinkle 1/2 to 1 tsp grated coconut . Squeeze the dough onto the prepared idli moulds in circular motion.Sprinkle more grated coconut on top,if desired.
- Steam for 8 to 12 minutes depending upon the thickness of the idiappam .
- Allow it to cool slightly and remove them using a spoon and transfer to a serving bowl.
- The quantity of water depends upon the type of rice flour you use.
- Do not cook the idiappams for long ,if you do so it may turn out hard.
- Side dish for idiappam- Vegetarian- Kerala Kadala Curry , Kerala Vegetable Stew ,Egg-Egg curry with potato,Nadan Mutta Curry,Meat-Mutton stew,Kerala Duck Curry,Chicken Mappas
UnknownAugust 16, 2014 at 3:02 pm
wow idiappam looks fantastic dear 🙂 perfect breakfast dish , you have done it so well 🙂 I am craving for some idiappam now 🙂
RemyaAugust 16, 2014 at 3:17 pm
idiyappam with mutta oh my God..my all time fav…looks inviting
Divya ASeptember 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm
love each and every click of yours.. look at how those simple idiyappams look exotic, just becoz u clicked em…… rocking 🙂