Easy One Pot Vegetable biriyani
Quick,easy and delicious one pot Vegetable Biriyani.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Black cardamom – 1(optional)
- Cloves- 3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Green chilies,cut vertically – 1 or 2( or according to taste)
- Ginger and garlic,finely chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1 cup( 1 large)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts and raisins – 1/2 tbsp each( optional)
- Tomato ,finely chopped – 1/2 cup(1 medium)
- Vegetables,cubed – 1 cup( i used carrots,green beans and green peas)
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves,finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves,finely chopped – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil or ghee – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in the rice cooker pan .( you may use a pressure cooker or heavy bottomed pan -see notes). Add cumin seeds,fennel seeds,cinnamon,green cardamom,black cardamom,cloves and bay leaf.Saute for few seconds or until fragrant.Next add ginger ,garlic and green chilies.Saute for about 30 seconds.
- Now add onion and saute until it turns slight golden brown.
- Add Kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder and coriander powder.Mix well until combined.Add cashew nuts and raisins and saute for few seconds.
- Now add tomato and mix well until combined.Cook until it turns mushy.
- Add vegetables and mix well.Next add yogurt.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves.Mix well until combined.
- Wash and drain rice well.Add it to the vegetable masala and mix well.Add 2 to 2.5 cups water.( the quantity of water depends upon the rice that you use.I used 2.5 cups water.)
- Add salt to taste , cover and cook until done.Fluff it up using a fork.Serve with raitha ,pickle and pappadom.
- If you are using a pressure cooker.Close the cooker after adding water,bring to full pressure on high heat.Place the vent weight ,reduce the heat to low and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes( 1 whistle).Allow cooker to cool gradually.
- You can also use a heavy bottomed pan to prepare the biriyani.In that case after adding water bring it to a boil over high heat.Reduce the flame to low ,cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is done.Fluff the rice using a fork.