Vegan Ragi Cookies
Quick,easy and delicious cardamom flavored cookies with a crunchy exterior and a chewy interior.
Recipe source:Susan recipes ,you can find the original recipe here.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 15 to 18 cookies
- Ground flax seeds – 1 tbsp
- Water – 3 tbsp
- Ragi flour( also known as African millet / red millet) – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cane sugar (or grated jaggery )- 1/2 cup( loosely filled)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Dry ginger powder – 2 pinch
- Canola oil or any neutral vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- In a bowl combine together ground flax seed and water.Refrigerate this mixture for at least 10 to 15 minutes or until it turns slightly thick.
- Dry roast ragi flour along with cardamom powder for few minutes over medium flame until fragrant.Allow it to cool slightly.In a mixing bowl combine together the cooled ragi flour,cane sugar,baking powder,salt and dry ginger powder.
- Add the flax mixture and oil , mix well until combined.(The mixture will be a bit crumbly,but you will be able to shape it.)
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.Line a baking tray with parchment paper.Take a small portion of the dough and shape it into a 1.5″ to 2″ circle and place on the prepared baking tray.Repeat with the remaining dough.Bake the cookies for about 12 to 15 minutes.Allow it to cool before removing from the tray,as these cookies crumble easily while warm.
- For best results use freshly ground cardamom powder.