Vegan Ragi Cookies
Quick,easy and delicious cardamom flavored cookies with a crunchy exterior and a chewy interior.
Recipe source:Susan recipes ,you can find the original recipe here.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 15 to 18 cookies
- Ground flax seeds – 1 tbsp
- Water – 3 tbsp
- Ragi flour( also known as African millet / red millet) – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cane sugar (or grated jaggery )- 1/2 cup( loosely filled)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Dry ginger powder – 2 pinch
- Canola oil or any neutral vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- In a bowl combine together ground flax seed and water.Refrigerate this mixture for at least 10 to 15 minutes or until it turns slightly thick.
- Dry roast ragi flour along with cardamom powder for few minutes over medium flame until fragrant.Allow it to cool slightly.In a mixing bowl combine together the cooled ragi flour,cane sugar,baking powder,salt and dry ginger powder.
- Add the flax mixture and oil , mix well until combined.(The mixture will be a bit crumbly,but you will be able to shape it.)
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.Line a baking tray with parchment paper.Take a small portion of the dough and shape it into a 1.5″ to 2″ circle and place on the prepared baking tray.Repeat with the remaining dough.Bake the cookies for about 12 to 15 minutes.Allow it to cool before removing from the tray,as these cookies crumble easily while warm.
- For best results use freshly ground cardamom powder.
virunthu unna vaangaAugust 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Super healthy cookies… Love it much always..
ShellaAugust 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm
These look like a must make….I always drool at your pics.
coralcrueAugust 19, 2014 at 9:54 pm
thank you so very much, i love such recipes! yaaay
UnknownAugust 20, 2014 at 4:16 am
healthy cookies and loving it always
jaya's recipesAugust 20, 2014 at 9:29 am
Very nice and healthy cookies
harsha_sAugust 18, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Very good taste
UnknownMarch 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm
I have read that flax seed must never be ground and stored.. So can I avoid the flax seed and follow the same procedure?
rythmJuly 27, 2016 at 2:42 am
These came out really good. Thanks for recipe.
LiSeptember 18, 2017 at 6:19 am
Wow – has anyone tried these? are they chewy or crumbly?
KurryleavesSeptember 29, 2017 at 11:18 am
more like crumbly cookies…not chewy
UnknownAugust 3, 2020 at 7:18 am
Super tasty, nice crunch. Reliable recipe. Roasting the flour is a stroke of genius!
silver_moonSeptember 18, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Can I use ghee instead of oil?
KurryleavesSeptember 21, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Yes you can replace oil with ghee