Easy Chicken Pepper Fry
Spicy kerala style chicken pepper fry.
Recipe source:Taste of Kerala
Prep Time: 30 to 40minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Chicken,cut into small pieces – 400 to 500 gms
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Lemon juice- 2 to 3 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut slices – 1/4 cup
- Black Pepper powder- 1.5 to 2 tsp( according to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1 pinch
- Sliced onion- 1 or 2 tbsp ( optional)
- Salt- to taste
For masala paste:
- Shallots – 6 to 7
- Ginger – 1.5″ piece
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Tomato,diced- 1 small
- Green chilies- 2
- Combine chicken with turmeric powder ,curry leaves ,lemon juice and salt to taste.Marinate for about 30 minutes.In a blender,combine together all the ingredients listed under ” For masala paste” and grind to form a paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan /non-stick pan.Add the masala paste and cook for about 5 minutes or until the raw smell leaves.
- When the masala is cooked add the marinated chicken and mix well.Cook for about 5 minutes,mixing well in between.Add more salt as required.
- Now add coriander powder and mix well.Cover and cook until chicken is 3/4 cooked and gravy coats the chicken pieces.
- Now add the coconut slices and mix well.Cook until chicken is done and turns slightly darker in colour.
- Now add black pepper powder to taste and mix well.Cook for few more minutes,stirring gently in between until the chicken pieces are browned evenly.
- Next add garam masala and stir gently until combined.Finally add fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Switch off the stove.Add sliced onion ( if desired) and mix well.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper powder according to your taste.For best results use freshly ground pepper powder.
- I used 400 gms chicken.For best results use chicken thigh cut into small pieces.