Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake
Healthy Ragi Chocolate cake packed with essential nutrients,calcium ,iron ,fibre etc.(Gluten Free and Vegan)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Makes: 5″ x 5″ cake
- Ragi /African Millet /Red Millet Flour – 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup
- Ground Flax Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cocoa powder – 1/8 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Canola oil / vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Cane Sugar or grated jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder- 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- In a pan ,add 1/8 cup Ragi flour,ground flax seeds,cocoa powder and water.Mix well until combined.
- Turn on the stove and cook the ragi-cocoa mixture over medium flame,stirring continuously until it turns thick and glossy.
- Transfer the ragi-cocoa mixture to a mixing bowl.Allow this to cool to lukewarm.Add oil and vanilla extract to the mixture.Next add the remaining 1/2 cup ragi flour,cane sugar,baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Mix well using a sturdy spoon until smooth and well combined.Preheat oven to 180 Deg C , line a 5″ x 5″ cake tin with parchment paper.Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake come out clean.(Do not over bake).Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
- You can also add 2 to 3 tbsp chocolate chips to the batter ,if desired.
TorviewtorontoAugust 27, 2014 at 1:05 am
LifewithspicesAugust 27, 2014 at 5:36 am
healthy brownie made wonderfully
UnknownAugust 27, 2014 at 5:41 am
looks fab and my favorite combo too
Rafeeda ARAugust 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm
that looks so moist… healthy cake…
Harriet EmilySeptember 8, 2014 at 8:58 am
these look so delicious! you can't beat healthy brownies!
SowmyaFebruary 4, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Tried it, they were the most delicious, thank you. It is not only gluten free but also casein free (milk and milk products), an excellent recipe.
KurryleavesJune 3, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Thank you Sowmya!!So happy that you liked it..Thanks a lot for the feedback.
UnknownJuly 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Hi I have tried the cake 3/4 times now .. It tastes well but it doesn't look as shiny on the top crust as your pictures. And looks Lil dry and cracked on the top.I could share the pics with you.
KurryleavesAugust 10, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Hi Tarunpreet!!Thank you for the feedback…did you cook the 'Ragi-Cocoa' mixture until it turns really thick and glossy?… using too much flour can make the cake dry..so when measuring the flour,spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off with a spatula…do let me know the next time you try it out….and please do send me the pics @ kurryleaves[at]gmail.com
UnknownJuly 28, 2015 at 9:07 pm
This comment has been removed by the author.
UnknownOctober 14, 2015 at 11:04 am
Nice recipe…I tried it today..its v soft n moist..but don't know how to mask its smell. ..i dont like the smell of oil..rice bran…can u suggest some way to mask its smell..thanks
UnknownOctober 14, 2015 at 11:06 am
I tried it today..it turned out v good ..but don't know how to mask the smell of oil..rice bran..kindly suggest smway to mask it…tia
KurryleavesOctober 20, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Thank You Anuja!! Thank you for the feedback.
Try using any neutral vegetable oil..i have tried this one with olive oil and sunflower oil and it worked perfectly..
sindhuJuly 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Can we omit flax seeds??
KurryleavesJuly 10, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Flax seeds act as an egg substitute…and is essential
UnknownNovember 6, 2016 at 8:58 pm
..wats the shelf life of this cake in hot weather…i want to bake it and take it abroad on a trip for my toddlers….
UnknownNovember 6, 2016 at 8:59 pm
What is its shelf life in hot weather…need to travel with it.
apol...June 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Lovely cake came out perfect
Anupama SrinivasanNovember 4, 2019 at 9:24 am
Lovely cake came out well…v rich n moist. Used olive oil…chocolate chips mask the jaggery flavor. Didn't rise as much as I would have liked… A bit dense.
JiniMarch 27, 2020 at 7:26 am
Hi if I want to make it in microwave how do I do it?
JiniMarch 27, 2020 at 5:37 pm
hello can we make this in microwave? how to ? but i love this recipe so much you saved me haha me suddenly getting gluten allergy i was heartbroken cause i love cakes and sweet.. but this is super easy and fast and amazing!! thnks
KurryleavesMarch 31, 2020 at 6:17 am
I am not very sure about cooking in a microwave.you can bake this in a pressure cooker or any pan..for details refer pressure cooker cake recipe here on the blog
ShikhaDecember 27, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Hi I made this cake today with half white amul butter &half sunflower oil as I made double quantity & it has has come out superb thanks for the nice recipe