Vegetable Masala Puttu
Steamed rice flour cake with spicy vegetable masala stuffing.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Onion,finely chopped – 1 medium ( about 3/4 cup)
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chilies,chopped – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Ginger – garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Water- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Tomato,finely chopped- 1 medium(about 1/2 cup)
- Vegetables,finely chopped( use carrots,green beans,green peas,cauliflower etc) – 1 cup
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- as required
To prepare Puttu:
- Puttu Podi – 1 to 1.5 cups
- Water- as required
- Salt- to taste
- Grated coconut- as required
- To Prepare Puttu mixture-In a bowl,combine together rice flour and salt to taste.Sprinkle water a little at a time and mix well with your finger tips.It should look like bread crumbs and should not form a dough.( To check if it is done,take a handful of the wet puttu mixture and press it.If it holds its shape and crumbles easily when pressed again then the consistency is right.).Cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan add onion, curry leaves and green chilies.Saute until it turns translucent.Next add ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
- Saute until it turns golden brown.Reduce the flame to low and add turmeric powder,kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder ,garam masala and 1 to 2 tbsp water .Cook stirring continuously for few seconds.
- Add tomato and salt to taste,mix well.Cook over medium flame until it mushy and masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Now add the finely chopped vegetables and mix well.Cook until the vegetables are done.If required,add few tbsp of water to avoid burning.Turn off the heat and keep aside.
- Now to prepare puttu ,place 1 or 1.5 tbsp of grated coconut as the first layer in the puttu mould.Next add 2 to 3 tbsp of the vegetable masala mixture.
- Loosely fill the remaining portion with the prepared puttu mixture.Top with grated coconut,if desired.Cover the puttu mould with the lid.Fill the pressure cooker ( or the bottom vessel of the puttu maker) with water equal to half its volume.Bring it to a boil.Steam cook the puttu for about 5 to 8 minutes or until you see steam escaping from the tiny holes on the lid. Take out the mould and invert it onto a serving plate.
- Adjust the amount of chili powder according to your taste.