Spicy Chicken-Coconut Fry
Kerala style , spicy chicken fry with coconut and red chilies.
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Chicken,cut into small pieces – 450 to 500 gms
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut ,sliced – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 handful
- Dry red chilies,cut into two and seeds removed – 10 to 12
- Shallots,sliced – 1/4 cup
- Onion,finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 3/4 to 1 tsp( according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder,freshly crushed – 1 pinch( optional)
- Garam masala powder – 1 pinch(optional)
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil- 2 to 3 tbsp or as required
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan( preferably a cast iron pan or wok /cheenachatti).Add fennel seeds and saute for few seconds until it turns golden.Next add coconut, curry leaves, and dry red chilies.Saute until coconut turns light -golden brown.
- Now add shallots and onion.Saute for few minutes or until it turns translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low, add black pepper powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.Mix well until combined.
- Now add chicken and salt to taste.Mix well and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook over medium flame( do not add water), until chicken turns tender.Stir well once or twice in between to avoid burning.Once the chicken is tender uncover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until it turns golden brown.Finally add 1 pinch black pepper powder,garam masala (if using)and mix well.Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve with rice or chapathi.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper powder according to your taste.