Quick and easy Kerala snack item, prepared using rice flour and besan.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 to 3 cups
- Besan/ Gram Flour – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 1.5 cup
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 to 3 tsp( according to taste)
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Oil – for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine together besan, rice flour, Kashmiri chili powder, salt and asafoetida.Mix well until combined.Next add ghee and mix well using your fingertips.Add sufficient quantity of water and knead well to form a soft and smooth dough.Make sure the dough is not sticky.
- Place the dough in a pakkavada / murukku maker.
- Heat oil in a pan(once the oil gets really hot, reduce the flame to medium-low to avoid burning.)and press the dough into the hot oil in a circular motion.Do this in small batches.Add few curry leaves into the oil. Fry the pakodas , till it turns golden and crispy, turning once or twice in between.
- Drain onto a clean kitchen towel using a slotted spoon.Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Adjust the quantity of Kashmiri chili according to your taste.