KERALA EGG BIRIYANI-Learn how to prepare delicious Kerala style egg biriyani,prepared with basmati rice boiled eggs,spices and coconut milk.
- Basmati rice- 1and 1/4 to 1.5 cup( see notes)
- Egg(hard boiled)- 2 to 4 nos
- Cardamom- 2nos
- Cinnamon stick- 2 nos(1 ” piece)
- Bay leaves- 1 no
- Cloves-5 to 6 nos
- Ginger and garlic -finely chopped- 1 tbsp
- Green chili chopped- 1 no(or to taste)
- Onion chopped finely- 2 nos
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1 tsp(or to taste,see notes)
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Tomato chopped finely -1 no small
- Coconut milk(thick)-3/4 cup
- Mint leaves chopped- 1 to 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped- 2 tbsp
- Garam masala (for sprinkling)-1/8 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Onion sliced finely- 1 no
- Cashew nuts and raisins- few
- TO PREPARE RICE -Heat oil/Ghee in a pan ,add rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes,pour sufficient amount of water(approximately 2 to 2 1/4 cups) and add salt to taste.Cook until rice is 3/4th done.Keep aside.
- TO PREPARE GARNISH-Meanwhile, heat oil/ghee in a pan and fry sliced onion, cashew nuts and raisins (for garnishing)separately until it turns brown and keep aside.
- TO PREPARE THE EGG MASALA-Now heat oil in a pan ,add the whole spices(cardamon,bay leaves,cinnamon and cloves) and saute till fragrant.
- Add ginger ,garlic,green chili and chopped onion and saute till onion turn almost brown.
- Add turmeric powder,chili powder and garam masala,saute till raw smell leaves.
- Add tomato and saute till it is completely cooked.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add salt to taste.Add the hard boiled eggs and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on low flame or until the gravy thickens.
- In a heavy bottomed pan arrange the masala and cooked rice in layers.Sprinkle chopped coriander and mint leaves , garam masala and few drops of ghee(adding ghee is optional) on each layer of rice.Garnish with fried onions,cashew nuts and raisins.
- Cover the pan and cook over low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.(you can also bake this at 200 deg C for 10 minutes)
- Serve with simple raitha.
NOTES:( Updated on 6/5/14)
- If you are using red chili powder,adjust the quantity according to your taste.
- If you like more masala for the biriyani ,use 1 and 1/4 cup rice,or use 1.5 cups rice for a milder version.
Kerala kitchen August event at Sugar n spice
E for Egg event at Cookery point-Ila’s kitchen
Joy of fasting to feasting at kitchen flavours
Iftar nights at Jabeen’s corner