Vegetable Koottu Curry-Healthy and delicious ,mixed vegetable side dish for rice.
Spicy vegetable koottu curry
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6
Recipe source:Modern Kerala Dishes,Mrs K.M Mathew
- Vegetables cut into 1″ pieces-500 gms( use beans,cabbage,string beans,pumpkin,carrot,potato,spinach and cucumber)
- Bengal gram dal or tuvar dal – 1/2 cup
- Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies- 6
- Garlic- 3 to 4 cloves
- Ginger- 1/2 ” piece
- Cloves- 4
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon- 1 small piece
- Black pepper- 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Onion sliced- 1 cup
- Ginger and garlic,cut into fine julienne- 1 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically- 4
- Lime juice- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- coconut oil – as required
- Cut the vegetables into 1″ pieces.Cook the dal until soft ,keep aside.
- Heat 1/4 tsp oil and fry the coriander seeds,cumin seeds ,fennel seeds and dry red chilies until the colour changes slightly.
- Grind the roasted spices along with garlic,ginger,cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,black pepper and turmeric powder.Keep aside until required.
- Now heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add onion,ginger, garlic julienne and green chilies and saute until onion turns translucent.
- Now add the ground masala and brown over low heat.
- Add the vegetables,salt and sufficient quantity of water.Cover and cook until done.
- Finally add the cooked dal and cook over medium low heat until the curry turns thick,sprinkle lime juice and switch off the flame.Serve with rice.
- Adjust the amount of red chilies and black pepper powder according to your taste.
- Click here for more kerala sadhya recipes.