Kerala Tomato Rasam-Learn how to prepare spicy easy Kerala style tomato rasam from scratch.
Quick and easy Kerala rasam
Prep Time: 10 minutes .
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies- 1
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 to 1.5 tsp ( according to taste)
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1 pinch
- Asafoetida powder- 2 pinch
- Tomato,chopped- 3/4 to 1 cup ( 2 medium)
- Tamarind pulp – extracted from gooseberry size ball ( see notes)
- Hot water- 1.5 cups
- Jaggery – 1 generous pinch (optional)
- Oil- as required
- Salt- to taste
To crush together:
- Shallots- 4 to 5
- Green chilies- 2
- Black peppercorns- 1/4 tsp
- Garlic- 5 large cloves
- Crush together all the ingredients listed under ‘to crush together ‘ using a mortar and pestle.Set aside.Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the crushed shallots mixture and saute until shallots turn soft.Reduce the flame to low and add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder ,turmeric powder,cumin powder,fenugreek powder and asafoetida.Saute until raw smell leaves.Next add the tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy.
- Add salt ,jaggary and Tamarind pulp.Bring this to a boil over medium heat.
- Finally add sufficient quantity of hot water (about 1.5 cups) and bring it to a boil.Garnish with coriander leaves,if desired.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper according to your taste.
- To extract tamarind pulp.Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup warm water for about 10 minutes and mix well using your finger tips and strain the pulp through a strainer.
- Find more Kerala lunch recipes here.