Jackfruit preserve,a preparation that is unique to Kerala.
Prep Time: 10 minutes .
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 3 cups
- Ripe Jackfruit,flesh- 6 cups
- Jaggery,grated – 2.5 to 3 cups (according to taste)
- Ghee – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Dry ginger powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- In a blender, grind the jackfruit flesh to form a coarse paste.Heat a heavy bottomed pan or uruli and add the jackfruit puree.
- Cook until the it turns slightly thick,stirring continuously.Now add the grated jaggery( or melted jaggery) and mix well .
- Cook the mixture until it turns thick.Now add ghee and stir continuously .
- Cook until the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan.Add the dry ginger powder and cardamom powder,Mix well and switch off the flame.Allow this to cool completely,before transferring to an air tight jar.
- Adjust the amount of jaggery according to the sweetness of the fruit.
- If needed,melt the jaggery and strain to remove impurities.
- Chakka varattiyathu can be served as it is or can be used to prepare chakka ada,chakka payasam or kumbilappam