Navara Ari Payasam|Navara Rice Payasam- Learn how to prepare healthy and nutritious Navara rice payasam.
Healthy and delicious navara rice payasam.
Prep Time: 30 minutes .
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serve: 3 to 4
- Navara Rice- 1/2cup
- Water – 2 and 1/2 cups
- Whole Milk- 3 cups
- Cardamom- 3 to 4 (or use 1/2 tsp cardamom powder)
- Palm Candy/Panam Kalkandam or sugar- 3/4cup(or to taste,see notes)
- Ghee- 1tsp
- Wash the rice well.( soak rice in water for about 30 minutes to reduce the cooking time).Add the rice along with water and pressure cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until done.Once cooked ,open the lid and gently mash the rice with the ladle.
- Now add the milk and cardamom.Add panam kalkandam or sugar and stir well.
- Add ghee and cook for about 10 minutes over medium flame until payasam turns slightly thick.stir continuously to avoid burning.Switch off the stove.Serve warm.
- Navara ari is a variety of medicinal rice usually found in kerala. It has wide range of health benefits.Navara porridge prepared using navara rice powder is one of the best first foods for babies.
- The payasam tends to get thick when it cools down,to adjust the consistency add more hot/warm milk.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
- You may also add ghee fried cashews and raisins ,if desired.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml
- Click here for more Payasam recipes.
- Navara rice and palm candy are available in most organic /ayurveda stores or you can buy from any online store.Check here for navara rice and palm candy.