Nadan Konchu Curry
Quick and easy Kerala style prawn/shrimp curry.
Prep Time: 15 minutes .
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves2 to 3
- Prawns/shrimp,cleanes- 200 gms/1cup(measured after cleaning)
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger,crushed- 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Garlic,crushed- 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies,cut vertically- 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Shallots,sliced- 1/2cup
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato,chopped – 1 medium
- Water -1 cup or as required
- Kudampuli/fish tamarind – 1 piece(washed and soaked in 1/4 water)
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
- Prawns/shrimp,cleaned- 200 gms/1cup(measured after cleaning)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4tsp
- Salt – to taste
- In a bowl combine together prawns along with the ingredients listed under ‘For marination’.Set aside until required.Heat oil in a manchatti/pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add ginger,garlic,green chilies,curry leaves and shallots.Saute,over medium flame until shallots turns golden brown .
- Now reduce the flame to low ,add kashmiri chili powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder.Saute until raw smell leaves.(Stir continuously to avoid burning.)
- Now add tomato and cook until it turns mushy.Stir continuously and cook until the masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add the marinated prawns ,salt to taste and mix well,cook for a minute or two.
- Add the soaked tamarind/kudampuli (along with the liquid) and 1 to 1 and 1/4 cup water depending upon the consistency required .Cover and cook until done over medium flame.Uncover and cook for few more minutes until the gravy turns thick.Serve with rice.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml