Homemade Ghee|How to make ghee from milk – Learn how to prepare aromatic and flavourful homemade ghee from fermented milk cream,the traditional way.
Learn how to make ghee from milk cream
Prep Time: 6 to 7 hours
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 600 to 700 ml
- Milk cream,from whole milk- 6 cups (see notes)
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Cold water- as required
- To collect the milk cream,bring whole milk to a rolling boil and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.Allow to cool completely and refrigerate for 6 to 7 hours or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon separate the thick layer of cream formed on top.Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for upto 10 days or in the freezer for longer.Repeat this process until you have enough cream (at least 2 cups) to prepare ghee.(From a daily supply of 2 Ltrs ,it took me 10 days to collect 6 cups milk cream)
- Once you have collected enough milk cream,add yogurt ,mix well and set aside for 4 to 5 hours at room temperature.Add 2 cups of this fermented cream into a blender and keep pulsing at the lowest speed for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup ice cold water and whip until the solids starts to separate.Using a slotted spoon separate the butter into a large bowl.Rinse the butter few times to get rid of the smell.Repeat the same with the remaining milk cream.
- Once you have collected all the butter from the cream,transfer this to a heavy bottomed pan and gently heat over medium flame,stirring well in between.
- Cook until the solids starts to separate.Stir well in between to avoid burning.
- Switch off the stove once the solids turn golden brown and the liquid starts to bubble.
- Allow to cool slightly and strain it through a fine mesh metal seive to remove the solids.
- Allow to cool completely and store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 6 months or in the refrigerator for longer.
- Use raw milk or full cream milk to collect the milk cream.
- Add a handful of moringa/drumstick leaves or curry leaves during the final stage of cooking i.e when the milk solids turn golden brown and cook for few seconds or until the leaves turn crisp.This gives a nice aroma to the ghee.
- You can store the milk cream in the fridge for upto 10 days and in the freezer for longer.To defrost leave the container in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter top for few hours.