Pazham pori | Ethakka appam -One of the most popular Kerala tea time snack.Made from ripe plantains these can be made just under 15 minutes.
Makes: 8 nos
- Etahakka /Nendrapazham ( ripe plantains)- 2 nos
- All purpose flour-1/2 cup
- Rice flour-1 to 11/2 tbsp (optional)
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 pinch (optional)
- Salt-one pinch
- Water -As required
- Coconut oil- for deep frying
- Peel the plantains and cut it vertically into two.Cut each slice again into two .Set aside until required.
- To prepare the batter combine the all purpose flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, cumin seeds ,salt and water in a mixing bowl.Mix well using a fork or a whisk to form a thick flowing batter.Make sure you add the water little by little to avoid lumps from forming.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.Dip the sliced banana in the batter and deep fry until golden brown.Make sure you turn the sides once or twice in between for even cooking.Once it is done, drain onto a kitchen towel and serve immediately with tea or coffee.
- If you prefer slightly sweeter Pazham pori | Ethakka appam ,add 1 tsp of sugar to the batter.
- You can also use rice flour instead of all purpose flour ,if you like it to be really crispy on the outside.
- You could also add 1/2 tsp of black sesame seeds to the batter ,if you prefer.
- Click here for more Kerala snack recipes.