Popular Kerala snack prepared using ripe jack fruit and rice.
Prep Time: 3 to 4 hours
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes: 16 to 18
- Unakkalari/Pachari/raw rice – 1 cup
- Jack fruit,seeds removed and sliced- 1 and 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1cup
- Water – as required
- Black Sesame seeds- 1 tsp
- Coconut,cut into small pieces- 1 to 2 tbsp
- Ghee- as required
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda- 1 pinch (optional)
- Coconut oil,for frying – as required
Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for about 3 to 4 hours.Drain and transfer the rice to a blender.
Add the jack fruit ,jaggery and sufficient quantity of water ,blend to form a smooth batter.(same consistency as dosa batter).
Transfer the batter into a large bowl.Heat ghee in a pan and fry the coconut pieces until golden brown.
Add the fried coconut pieces,sesame seeds and cardamom powder into the batter.Stir well.Allow the batter to ferment for 3 to 4hours.Just before making the unniappams,add the baking soda(if using) and stir well.Heat Oil in a unniappachatti/paniyaram pan ,when oil turns hot, reduce the flame to medium and pour 2 tablespoon of batter into each hole and cook until the edges turn golden brown.
Turn over and cook for a minute or two.Drain onto a kitchen towel.
- 1 cup=250ml
- Adjust the quantity of jaggery according to the sweetness of the fruit.