- Cherupayar/Green gram-1 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Ginger- 1″ piece
- Garlic -3-4 cloves
- Shallots/chumanulli-4-5 nos
- Green chilies- 2 nos
- Cumin Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilies- 3-4 nos
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion chopped- 1/4 cup
- Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak cherupayar/green gram overnight.
- Crush grated coconut,ginger,garlic,shallots,green chilies and cumin powder together.Set aside.
- Cook cherupayar/green gram with enough water and turmeric powder.
- When it is cooked ,switch off the flame and add the crushed coconut mixture and salt immediately and cover the vessel and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves ,red chilies and chopped onions , saute till the onion turns pink.
- Add the cooked cherupayar/green gram (with the coconut mixture)
- Add pepper powder.
- Saute for 3 – 4 minutes.
Note-(I have used spouted green gram in this recipe,which is more nutritious.)
CLICK HERE FOR MORE THORAN/STIR FRY RECIPES
Sending this recipe to kerala kitchen event june 2011 hosted by Rose of magpies recipes.
UnknownOctober 12, 2017 at 6:34 am
Should green gram be boiled along with the coconut mixture or after cooking the green grams the water is to drained off n then the mixture to be added with it and kept aside?
KurryleavesOctober 13, 2017 at 12:59 pm
cook the green gram,drain and then mix with the crushed coconut