Popular Indian sweet/pudding made using grated carrots and milk.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6
- Ghee – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Grated carrots – 4 cups( 4 to 5 large carrots)
- Milk- 4 cups
- Sugar – 3/4 cup( or to taste)
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts- 15 to 18
- Ghee- to fry cashew nuts
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan .
- Add grated carrots and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.Next add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes over low flame ,stirring well in between.Cook until the carrots are soft and the milk is evaporated.
- Now add sugar and mix well.Cook until it turns thick for about 3 to 4 minutes,stirring well in between.Fry cashew nuts in ghee until it turns golden brown and add it to the halwa.Mix well and serve warm or chilled. and serve.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
- You can also add one pinch saffron along with the milk for better flavor.
- I actually scaled down the recipe to 1/2,as you can see in the pics.