Recipe source : Mariasmenu.com,You can find the original recipe here
For Paneer masala
- Panner cubed- 250 gms
- Cinnamon-1″ piece
- Cloves-3 nos
- Cardamom- 3 nos
- Onion sliced- 3 nos
- Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Tomato- sliced-1 no
- Yogurt-1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves-3 tbsp
- Cashewnut paste- 2 tbsp (see notes)
- Salt to taste
For Masala paste
- Coriander powder-2 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Chili powder-2 tsp
- Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
- Water- as required
- Basmati rice- 1.5 cups
- Ghee-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
For garnishing and layering
- Onion-sliced- 1 small
- Cashew nuts-10 to 12 nos
- Raisins-1 to 2 tbsp
- Coriander and mint leaves-chopped- as required
- Ghee- as required
For preparing Paneer masala
- Soak paneer cubes in hot water until required.
- Combine all the ingredients for the masala paste(i.e coriander powder,turmeric powder,chili powder and fennel seeds)and grind to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and add crushed cinnamon,cloves and cardamom.Saute for few seconds.Now add onion and salt.Cook until onion turns golden brown in color.
- Now add ginger and garlic ,cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the prepared masala paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.Next add sliced tomato and cook until oil starts to separate ,or it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add yogurt and coriander leaves and mix until combined.Add more salt if required.
- Now add paneer cubes ,cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add cashew nut paste and mix well.Cook for few more minutes.Keep aside.
For preparing rice
- Wash rice until water runs clear.Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add the drained rice.Fry rice for 3 to 4 minutes,stirring continuously.
- Add salt and water.Cover and cook until it is 3/4 th done, drain the excess water.Transfer cooked rice to a large tray and allow it to cool slightly.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan ,fry onion,cashew nuts and raisins separately until it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.
- Lightly grease a baking pan with ghee.Arrange prepared rice and paneer masala in layers.Sprinkle 1/8 tsp ghee,and few tsp of chopped coriander and mint leaves on each layer of rice.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts,raisins and onion.
- Cover it with an aluminium foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
( for stove top method,layer rice and paneer masala in a greased heavy bottomed pan and cover it tightly..Heat a tava /dosa pan and place the biriyani vessel on top of the tava.Reduce the flame to low a cook for about 20 minutes.)
UnknownApril 30, 2013 at 11:11 pm
protein packed rice..looks delicious
Rafeeda ARMay 1, 2013 at 8:09 am
looks really delicious… yumm…
Vimitha DuraiMay 1, 2013 at 9:01 am
Briyani looks so so tempting. yummmm
divyaMay 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm
wow…looks fabulous n awesome clicks..