Soft and fluffy milk bread
Soft and fluffy bakery style milk bread.
Prep Time: 45 minutes + 1 hr 40 minutes proving time.
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
Recipe source: Sara’s Kitchen, You can find the original recipe here.
- Active dry yeast- 2.5 tsp ( see notes)
- Luke warm milk – 2/3 cup( 150 ml)
- All purpose flour – 2.5 cups
- Milk powder – 1 tbsp
- Caster sugar /Superfine sugar – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 3/4 tsp( or to taste)
- Butter- 2 tbsp (at room temperature)
- Lukewarm water – as required( i used 1/4 cup /see notes)
- Milk- 1 or 2 tbsp (to brush the loaf )
To prepare Water -Roux paste /TangZhong:
- All purpose flour – 1.5 tbsp
- Water- 100 ml(1/3 cup + 2 tbsp)
- To Prepare Water-Roux paste/TangZhong-In a small pan combine together 1.5 tbsp all purpose flour and 100ml water.Mix well until lump-free.Cook over medium heat ,stirring continuously until it turns thick.You should be able to get soft peaks out of the roux.Allow this to cool completely.
- In a bowl combine together active dry yeast and lukewarm milk.Keep aside for 5 minutes or until it turns frothy.In another large mixing bowl,combine together all purpose flour,milk powder,caster sugar and salt using a fork /whisk.
- Add the water- roux paste( at room temperature),yeast mixture.Mix well until combined.Gradually add sufficient quantity of lukewarm water and mix well to form a soft and slightly sticky dough.Knead for atleast 15 minutes ,until the dough turns soft.
- Now add the softened butter and continue to knead for about 5 to 10 minutes ,until the dough turns soft and elastic.(When it is done, you will be able to stretch the dough into a thin translucent film without breaking.)
- Transfer it to a greased bowl.Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume for about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.
- To see if the bread has proofed enough,gently poke your finger into it.If the dough quickly bounces back,it isn’t ready,if it comes back slowly ,then the dough is ready.
- Punch down the dough and transfer it onto a lightly floured surface.Divide the dough into 4 or 5 equal parts.
- Roll each into balls and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes.Roll each ball into a thin rectangle.
- Take one end of the sheet and fold into the middle.Then fold the other end to the middle to form a long rectangle.
- Now fold the shorter end into the middle and then fold the other short end to the middle.
- Roll the folded dough from one end to the other to form a roll.Place the roll in a loaf tin lined with parchment paper ( or a greased loaf tin).
- Place all the 4 ( or 5 ) rolls into the loaf tin.Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to rise( 2 nd round proofing) for about 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.Brush the loaf with milk and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes .Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- If you are using instant dry yeast, add it directly to the flour along with the rest of the dry ingredients. (and add milk to the dry ingredients along with the water-roux paste.)
- Different flour types require different amounts of liquid,so start with 1/8 cup lukewarm water and add more if required.