Nadan Mathi Curry-Learn how to prepare the hot and spicy ,red sardine curry,the authentic way.
Spicy and delicious Kerala style Sardine curry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Sardines /Mathi – 500 gms
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger,crushed – 1.5″ piece
- Garlic,sliced – 5 to 6 large cloves
- Shallots,sliced – 3 to 4
- Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 2 to 2.5 tbsp (or according to taste)
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fish tamarind /Kudampuli – 3 to 4 small pieces( or according to taste)
- Water – 1.5 cups( or as required)
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- Oil – as required
- Crush ginger and slice the garlic .Soak tamarind in water until required.
- Heat oil in a manchatti /pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Next add ginger,garlic,shallots and curry leaves.
- Saute until it turns golden brown.Reduce the flame to low and add turmeric powder ,kashmiri chili powder and fenugreek powder.Mix well until combined.
- Add tamarind and cook for one or two minutes,stirring continuously or until masala turns deep maroon.( make sure you do not burn the masala or else the curry will turn bitter)
- Add sufficient quantity of water ( about 1.5 cups) and salt to taste.
- Bring it to a boil.Add fish and gently swirl the pan.
- Cover and cook until done and gravy turns slightly thick.Add asafoetida and gently swirl the pan.
- Add more curry leaves and cook for one more minute.Serve with rice or tapioca.
- If you are using regular red chili powder,reduce the quantity to 1.5 or 2 tbsp , or according to your taste.
- This nadan mathi curry taste best with Kerala style tapioca stir fry/kappa ularthiyathu or even boiled rice.