Chickpeas in spicy coconut-tomato gravy.Perfect with batura,roti or poori .
Prep Time: 30 minutes + Soaking time
Cooking Time: 30 to 45 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
- Dry Chickpeas – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger,finely chopped – 2 tsp
- Garlic,finely chopped – 2 tsp
- Green Chilies,chopped – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Curryleaves – 1 sprig
- Onion,finely chopped – 1.5 cups(2 large)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 3 to 4 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Tomato,chopped – 1/2 cup (1 medium)
- Sugar – 1 generous pinch
- Kasuri methi,crushed – 1 generous pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1/4 cup
- Oil – as required
To Roast and grind:
- Grated coconut – 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 3/4″ piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves-3 to 4
- Star anise-4 petals or 1 small
- Oil – 1 tsp
Soak chickpeas in plenty of water for about 8 hours or overnight.Drain and pressure cook until it turns soft,adding sufficient quantity of water.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan,add all the ingredients listed under ‘ To roast and grind’.Fry till it turns golden brown.Transfer it to a tray and allow to cool completely.Grind this to a smooth paste adding sufficient quantity of water.Keep aside until required.
Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.Next add ginger,garlic,green chilies and curry leaves.Saute for few seconds..
Now add onion and saute until it turns soft and golden brown in colour.
Reduce flame to low and add turmeric powder,kashmiri chili powder and coriander powder.Add 1 tbsp water and mix well.Stir well and fry until raw smell leaves and oil starts to separate.
Add tomato and salt to taste.Cook over medium heat until tomato turns mushy and oil starts to separate.
Add the prepared coconut masala paste ,sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 cup water,mix well and bring it to a boil.Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Next add the cooked chickpeas along with the stock.Add more hot water if required.Mash some of the chickpeas with the back of the ladle to thicken the gravy.Add more salt if required.
Cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the gravy turns thick.Add coriander leaves.Cook for few more minutes and serve with roti /batura.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.