Kerala Chemmeen Achar
Kerala style spicy Prawn pickle.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
- Chemmeen/Prawns- 500 gms
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger,juliennes – 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic,sliced – 1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tbsp( or according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar- 1/4 cup
- Boiled and cooled water – 1/4 cup or as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as required(gingelly oil or coconut oil,see notes)
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
For masala paste:
- Ginger- 2″ piece
- Garlic- 7 to 8 large cloves
- Green chilies – 4 to 6( or according to taste)
- Coarsely grind together all the ingredients listed under ‘ For masala paste’.Keep aside until required.
- Wash and clean the prawns.Marinate the prawns with the ingredients listed under ‘ for marination’.Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the prawns,turning once in between.
- Once it is done,drain and keep aside until required.
- Add more oil ( if required) to the same pan,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Next add fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger,garlic and curry leaves , saute until raw smell disappears.
- Now add the prepared ginger-garlic-green chili paste , saute until raw smell leaves completely.
- Cook over medium low flame for few more minutes until oil starts to separate.In a bowl ,mix together kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder and vinegar to form a smooth paste.Add this masala paste to the pan. Add salt to taste.
- Cook over medium low flame for few minutes ,until oil starts to separate.Next add the fried prawns and mix well.
- Add boiled and cooled water as required.Bring this to a boil .Cook for 1 or 2 minutes.Switch off the stove and allow this to cool completely before transferring to an airtight-glass jar.
- I used coconut oil to fry the prawns and gingelly oil to prepare the gravy.
- Always use clean and dry spoon to take the pickle.
- You can store the pickle at room temperature for upto 1 week.Refrigerate if you want to keep it for long.
- For best results,keep the pickle undisturbed for 1 or 2 days for the flavor to develop.
- To avoid spoilage,you may pour 1 or 2 tbsp boiled and cooled gingelly oil over the pickle.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and chili powder , according to your taste.