Kerala Chemmeen Achar
Kerala style spicy Prawn pickle.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
- Chemmeen/Prawns- 500 gms
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger,juliennes – 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic,sliced – 1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tbsp( or according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar- 1/4 cup
- Boiled and cooled water – 1/4 cup or as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as required(gingelly oil or coconut oil,see notes)
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
For masala paste:
- Ginger- 2″ piece
- Garlic- 7 to 8 large cloves
- Green chilies – 4 to 6( or according to taste)
- I used coconut oil to fry the prawns and gingelly oil to prepare the gravy.
- Always use clean and dry spoon to take the pickle.
- You can store the pickle at room temperature for upto 1 week.Refrigerate if you want to keep it for long.
- For best results,keep the pickle undisturbed for 1 or 2 days for the flavor to develop.
- To avoid spoilage,you may pour 1 or 2 tbsp boiled and cooled gingelly oil over the pickle.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and chili powder , according to your taste.