Aloo palak curry
North Indian style Potato – spinach curry.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Spinach,cleaned- 1 bunch
- Green chilies – 1 or 2( or according to taste)
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Cloves – 1
- Cardamom- 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion,chopped – 3/4 cup( 1 medium)
- Ginger and garlic,finely chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/8 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato,finely chopped – 1/2 cup( 1 medium)
- Sugar – 1/8 tsp
- Water – as required
- Potato,cubed and boiled – 1 large
- Kasuri methi – 2 large pinches
- Garam maasala – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Cream – 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as required
Bring water to a boil in a large pot.Put the palak leaves in the boiling water ,and allow them to boil for 1 to 2 minutes.Transfer the cooked palak to a bowl containing ice cold water.( This is done to stop the cooking and to preserve the green colour.)Drain and puree the spinach along with green chilies in a blender.Keep aside until required.
Heat oil in a pan,add cinnamon,cloves,cardamom and bay leaf.Saute for few seconds.Now add onion and saute until golden.
Now add ginger and garlic.Saute until raw smell leaves.
Reduce flame to low and add coriander powder,turmeric powder,black pepper powder and cumin powder.Saute for few seconds and add chopped tomato.Mix well and cook over medium heat.
Cook until tomato turns mushy and oil starts to separate.Now add the pureed spinach and mix well.
Add sugar , sufficient quantity of water and salt to taste.Bring this to a boil and add kasuri methi and garam masala.
Now add the boiled potato and mix well.Cover and cook for few more minutes.Finally add the cream ,mix gently and switch off the stove.Serve with chapathi or rice.
- You can substitute fresh cream with yogurt if desired.
- Adjust the quantity of water according to the consistency required.
- You can also shallow fry the potato cubes ,if desired.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies according to your taste.