Vellarikka Manga Curry
Kerala style cucumber and raw mango curry.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Vellarikka/cucumber,diced- 1/2 cup
- Raw Mango,sliced – 1/4 cup( 1 small)
- Green chilies,cut vertically – 1 or 2 ( according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup( or as required)
- Salt – to taste
For coconut paste:
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Water – as required
- Coconut oil- as required
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – Few
- Shallots,sliced – 2
- Dry red chilies- 2
- Cook vellarikka/cucumber and raw mango with green chilies,turmeric powder and sufficient quantity of water( about 3/4 cup).
- Grind together grated coconut and cumin seeds with sufficient quantity of water to form a smooth paste.
- Once cucumber/vellarikka is cooked add the prepared coconut paste and salt to taste.Mix well and bring it to just under a boil. ( Do not boil the curry)
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Next add the curry leaves,shallots and dry red chilies.Saute until shallots turn golden brown.Add this to the curry and keep covered for few minutes for the flavors to mingle.Serve with rice.
- As the curry cools,it will thicken further.Therefore adjust the amount of water according to the consistency required.