Spicy Kerala chutney with roasted red chilies and coconut ,usually served with rice or gruel
Prep Time: 5 minutes .
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Shallots – 3 to 4
- Dry red chilies – 5 to 6( or according to taste)
- Ginger- 1/2 ” piece
- Tamarind- small gooseberry size
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
- Dry roast the shallots and dry red chilies until the colour changer slightly and the chilies turn crisp.Set aside.In the same pan dry roast the coconut until the colour changes slightly .Allow it to cool down a bit.
- Add the roasted shallots,dry red chilies ,coconut,ginger,tamarind,curry leaves and salt to taste in a blender.Grind this to form a thick mixture.(Do not grind it very fine.)Serve with boiled rice or gruel .
- You could also use sliced coconut instead of grated coconut.
- Adjust the quantity of red chilies according to your taste.
- The colour of the chutney depends upon the type of red chili used and how long you roast the chilies and coconut..