Quick and easy gluten free pooris using rice flour
Recipe Source: sanjeev kapoor
Prep Time: 20 minutes .
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Make: 12 pooris
- Rice flour- 1.5 cup
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp+ more for deep frying
- In a bowl combine together rice flour,coriander powder,fennel powder,cumin powder,fenugreek powder and salt to taste.Heat 1.5 cups water in a saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil.Add the flour mixture into the boiling water and reduce the flame to low.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and give it a quick stir to combine.Immediately cover with a lid and switch off the stove.Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and transfer it to mixing bowl. Keep covered for about 10 minutes or until cool enough to touch.
- Knead well to form a soft dough.Dust the working surface with rice flour .Take a small portion(lemon size) of the dough and roll it to form a small disc.Make sure it is not too thick or too thin.( if you find it difficult to roll the dough this way,place the dough on a greased plastic sheet.Place another greased plastic sheet on top and using a rolling pin roll to form a small disc.)
- Cut to a perfect round shape using a lid/cutter.(However,this step is optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the poori.Gently press the poori on one side with a slotted ladle so that it puffs up .
- Flip the poori and cook over the other side till golden brown.Transfer the poori on to a kitchen towel.Repeat with the remaining dough.
- I have used roasted red rice flour as you can see in the pictures.