HOMEMADE HORLICKS POWDER/HEALTH MIX FOR KIDS-Learn to prepare vanilla flavor health mix powder using whole wheat,almonds and cashews.
Homemade Horlicks Powder
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (or sprouted wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 1 Vanilla pod ( or use 1/4 tsp vanilla powder)
- 1 small pinch Salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Milk powder(use organic milk powder ,if avialable) optional
- In a heavy bottomed pan,add the almonds and cashews.Dry roast for few minutes until it turns slightly golden.Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completly.In the same pan add the whole wheat flour/sprouted wheat flour.Dry roast, stirring continuously over medium low flame until the flour turns slightly golden brown and has a nutty aroma.(Make sure you stir continuously to avoid burning.)Allow to cool completely.In a blender add roasted wheat flour,cashews,almonds,seeds from the vanilla pod/or vanilla powder,salt ,sugar and milk powder(if using).Blend well to form a fine powder.Place this into a fine mesh sieve and sift into a bowl and discard the remaining particles .Transfer into an airtight container.It can be stored upto 1 month at room temperature .
To prepare the horlicks/protein mix drink.
- Place 1.5 to 2 tbsp of the mix in a glass and add 1/4 cup hot/cold milk .Mix to form a smooth paste.
- Add more hot/cold milk to fill the glass( about 3/4 cup milk). Stir well and serve immediately .
- Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- You could also add 1/4 cup roasted peanuts instead of cashew nuts.
- You can add 3/4 tsp cardamom powder instead of vanilla.
- To prepare chocolate health mix powder add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the rest of the ingredients while blending.
- Click here for more recipe for kids.