Nadan Kozhi Curry /Kerala Style Chicken Curry
- Chicken- 6oo to 750 gms
- Ginger (crushed)- 2″ Piece
- Garlic (Crushed)-5 to 6 cloves
- Shallots (sliced)-1 1/2 cup
- Onion (Sliced finely)-1 Large
- Curry Leaves-2 to 3 sprigs
- Coconut pieces (Sliced)-1/4 cup (Optional)
- Coconut milk(Thin)-1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cup
- Fennel seeds( Powdered)-1/2 Tsp
- Coconut milk(Thick)-1/4 cup
- Garam masala-1/4 tsp
- Vinegar-1/2 tsp
- Water-As required
- Salt to taste
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Ginger and Garlic paste-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
For Masala Paste
- Kashmiri chili powder-3 tbsp( See Note)
- Coriander powder-2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1 1/2 tsp
- Water -as required
- Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients for marination.Keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the masala paste with sufficient quantity of water to form a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add ginger,garlic,shallots ,onion and 2 sprigs of curry leaves.When onion is almost cooked, add the sliced coconut pieces (if using) and mix well.Saute well until onion turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to medium low and add the masala paste and saute it ,stirring continuously until oil separates.(for about 5 minutes on Medium LOW flame)
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring in between.
- Now add the thin coconut milk and salt to taste.( add more water if you require more gravy).Cover and cook until chicken is tender and the gravy is thick enough.
- Next ,add fennel powder,garam masala and vinegar , mix well.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cook for few minutes or until gravy thickens.
- Add the remaining curry leaves and switch off the stove.
Note:* I have used 3 tbsp of Kashmiri chili powder here ,so it is really spicy,you can always adjust the quantity according to your spice level.
*If using normal red chili powder reduce the quantity to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tbsp.
*For best results use homemade garam masala
PIDI / RICE DUMPLINGS
- Rice Powder(i used puttu podi)- 1 cup
- Grated Coconut-4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Shallots-4 nos
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Water-2 Cups
- Coconut Milk-1/2Cup
- Salt to taste
- Rice Flour-2 tsp
- Boiling water- as required(add salt to taste to the water)
- Grind cumin seeds,shallots and garlic to form a smooth paste.
- Combine rice powder and grated coconut ,mix well for a minute .
- In a heavy bottomed pan dry roast this rice powder ,stirring continuously until the color turns pale(almost golden).Allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the ground shallots paste, and sufficient quantity of boiling water (with salt)to the roasted rice powder and mix well using a wooden spatula.Allow it to cool slightly and knead well for almost 4 to 5 minutes to form a soft dough.
- Roll this into small balls and steam it for 5 minutes.and keep aside.
- Combine 2 tsp rice flour with 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil,add salt to taste ,and add the steamed dumplings and cook until it is slightly thick .Switch off the flame and add coconut milk and mix well.