Recipe source :Magic Oven, Lakshmi Nair
Spicy grilled sardines wrapped with banana leaf.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Sardines,cleaned – 8 nos( see notes)
- Shallots /chumanulli,sliced – 3/4 cup
- Ginger,chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic,chopped – 1 tbsp
- Green chilies,chopped – 3 nos( or to taste)
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1.5 tsp(or use 3/4 tsp chili powder)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato,chopped – 1 small
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Plantain leaves – 4 to 5 nos
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tsp( or use 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- Black pepper powder-1 tsp(or according to taste)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Water – as required
- Salt-to taste
Make deep gashes on both sides of the fish.Combine all the ingredients listed under ‘For marination’ to form a thick paste.Marinate the fish with this masala.Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan ,add 2 sprigs curry leaves and add the sardines.Fry until it turns golden brown on both the sides,turning once in between.
Drain and keep aside.Add ginger , garlic and green chilies to the same oil,and saute until raw smell leaves.
Add shallots( i used onion) and saute until it turns golden brown.Add kashmiri chili powder and turmeric powder,saute for few seconds.
Add tomato and salt to taste .Saute until it turns mushy.
Add coconut milk and remaining curry leaves.
Mix well and cook until the gravy turns thick.Switch off the stove and allow it to cool a bit.
To make the banana leaf pliable,hold the it over the flame for few seconds.Place one or two tbsp of the prepared masala on a leaf and arrange (two or three) sardines over this.Cover the fish with more masala and wrap the leaf around to form a parcel.
Heat a heavy bottomed tava /pan and ,place the parcels carefully on the tava.Cook for about 10-15 minutes,turning once in between.
- I used only 6 sardines and kept the quantity for the remaining ingredients the same,as we wanted it to be spicy.