Ari Pathiri|Malabar Pathiri-Rice flour flatbread usually served with a non vegetarian side dish and is one of the most popular recipes from the Malabar region of Kerala.
Malabar style, thin rice flour flat bread.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Roasted rice flour /Pathiri podi – 1 cup(+ extra for dusting)
- Water -1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Boil water with salt and oil .
- Add flour to the boiling water and give it a quick stir.
- Immediately cover with a lid.Reduce the flame to the lowest and cook for 1 or 2 minutes and switch off the stove. Uncover and stir well using a wooden spatula.
- Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and keep covered for about 10 minutes or till it is cool enough to touch.Knead well for about 5 minutes or until the dough turns smooth.Dust the working surface with rice flour ,take a small portion ( lemon sized)of the dough and roll it out to form a thin disc.
- Cut to a perfect round shape using a round lid /cutter.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium flame,place the pathiri on it and cook on both the sides for about 1 minute.When it puffs up ,remove from the pan.( Do not over cook,if you do so it may turn out dry.).Serve with chicken or mutton curry.
- Here are some side dish recipes for Ari pathiri|Malabar Pathiri.