Malabar Neypathal-Deep fried pathiri
Prep Time: 10 minutes+soaking time .
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- Raw rice / Pachari- 2 cups
- Shallots – 5 to 6
- Grated coconut- 1.5 cups
- Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
- Water – as required
- Rice powder – 3/4 cup(approx)
- Oil – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for about 3 to 4 hours.Drain well and grind to form a coarse paste adding just enough water to run the mixer.Start by adding 1 or 2 tbsp water at a time and add more as required.Add te shallots,grated coconut , fennel seeds and salt to taste.Run the mixer for few more seconds to form a coarse paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the rice powder 1/4 cup at a time and mix well using your fingers.
- From the prepared dough, take a lemon sized ball and place it on a plastic sheet or parchment paper.Gently flatten using your finger tips to form a circle of thickness approximately 1/8″.
- Heat oil in pan over medium flame and gently slide the prepared pathiri into the hot oil .Turn the pathiri once it puffs up and floats on top.Cook until both sides turn golden. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Transfer onto a kitchen towel .Serve with curry of your choice.