Puran poli |Sweet lentil stuffed flatbread prepared using whole wheat flour,chana dal,jaggery and cardamom.
- Whole wheat flour,for dusting
- 2 to 3 tbsp Ghee,for cooking th puran poli or as required
For the filling
- 1 cup Chana dal
- Water,as required
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Jaggery ,grated
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 pinch Salt
For the dough
- 2.5 cups Whole wheat flour ( or use 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour ,see notes)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil/ghee
- Water,as required
- Salt,to tase
- Wash and soak the chana dal in sufficient quantity of water for about 3 to 4 hours or overnight.Drain and pressure cook the dal until soft.Strain the cooked dal to remove excess water.Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile,prepare the dough by mixing whole wheat flour,salt,vegetable oil/ghee and enough water in a large mixing bowl.Knead well to for about 3 to 5 minutes to form a smooth and soft dough.Cover and set aside for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mash the cooked dal well using a potato masher or transfer to a blender/food processor and process to form a smooth paste.Transfer the dal into a heavy bottomed pan along with ghee and jaggery .Cook over medium heat stirring continuously for about 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture turns thick.
- Allow to cool completely,add the cardamom and nutmeg powder and knead well.Divide this into 10 to 12 equal portions.Set aside until required.
- Divide the dough into 10 or 12 equal parts and roll a portion of the dough into a circle of 4" diameter on a lighly floured surfce.Place a portion of the filling in the center.
- Bring all the sides to the center and seal tightly.Flatten the ball and dip it in the flour.
- Dust the working surface with whole wheat flour ,roll the stuffed dough lightly to form a 7 to 8 "circle.Lightly dust the poli with flour,if it sticks to the rolling pin or the working surface.Heat a tawa,place the puran poli and let it cook until the colour changes slightly for about 15 seconds over medium high heat.
- Flip the poli and let it cook for few more seconds.Drizzle 1 tsp ghee over the poli.Flip the poli again and gently press using a spatula.Cook until golden spots appear on both the sides.Repeat with the remaining dough and the filling.Serve with melted ghee and milk.
- 1 cup=250 ml
- Use a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour for a softer texture.
- Find more Indian sweets recipes here.
- You can find the recipe for homemade ghee here.