Potato masala stuffed Indian flatbread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 parathas
- Whole wheat flour- 1 Cup( extra for dusting)
- Water – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Oil / Ghee – as required
For Potato stuffing:
- Potato,boiled and cubed- 2 medium
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped – 1/4 cup
- Green chilies,finely chopped – 1 ( or according to taste)
- Ginger ,finely chopped – 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/4 tsp( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1 tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- as required
- In a bowl,combine together whole wheat flour,salt and sufficient quantity of water and mix well.Knead to form a soft dough.Cover and keep aside for atleast 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.Add onion,green chilies and ginger.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder and garam masala powder.Saute for few seconds.Add potato , coriander leaves and salt to taste.
- Mix well until it is smooth.Divide the stuffing into 6 equal parts.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and roll a portion of the dough into a circle of 4″ diameter on a lightly floured surface.Place the filling ball in the center.
- Bring all the sides to the center and seal tightly.Pinch off the excess dough,if desired.
- Press it lightly using your finger tips to form a circle.
- Dust the surface with whole wheat flour ,roll the stuffed dough lightly to form 6 to 7 ” circle.(Lightly dust the parathas with flour,if it sticks to the rolling pin or the working surface.)
- Heat a nonstick /iron tawa ,place the paratha and let it cook until the color changes slightly for about 15 seconds over medium high heat.Flip the paratha and cook for few more seconds.
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil over the paratha.Flip the paratha again and gently press using a spatula.Cook until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.Serve hot with pickle and yogurt.
- For best results, drizzle ghee over the parathas.
- More stuffed paratha recipes-Gobi Paratha, Mooli paratha, broccoli paratha, mushroom paratha.